Monday, January 09, 2006

"Old Scout" is what he called me.

"Old Scout" is what he called me.: "Old Scout' is what he called me.

(Denis Cox / stock illustration) :: 'He used to come to the house and take me fishing...carp fishing! He didn't care about frying and eating fish, just catching them and then throwing them back, but mostly just taking me fishing.'

By Joe Lawless
Updated: 01/09/06

OCEAN ISLE BEACH, North Carolina

One man recalls life with his grandfather and the lessons and gifts exchanged between them.

[Full Story Below ?]
This story was written by Citizen Journalist Joe Lawless. We encourage you to click the Tip Jar to support this writer's work.
My Grandfather was my father and my best pal when I was growing up. From him I learned what loyalty, respect and genuine love really is. What I am today, he taught me by living the example. He used to come to the house and take me fishing...carp fishing! He didn't care about frying and eating fish, just catching them and then throwing them back, but mostly just taking me fishing. In the early days, my Grandfather worked in the mill for fifteen cents an hour, lived in one of the two room mill houses and raised three daughters alone. Much later, he was a prison guard for the State."

No comments: