Thursday, November 24, 2005

UPDATE ON FRONT GATE

UPDATE ON FRONT GATE AUTOMATION PROJECT....

RT

At the Social Club meeting Ingrid brought up that she had asked Larry Henson (Park Mgr) why the project to automate the front gate had been put on hold. He told her to his knowledge that it was my project and that I should contact him. I thought he had indicated there was a problem with insuring me to work on park property.

Yesterday Larry and I had that conversation. What we agreed on is he and I can work on the gate but projects in the clubhouse itself may require insurance. He said this is what he had said all along so I must have misunderstood him.

On to the Gate Project.. What is it? I’ve ordered the parts and have performed experiments at home to make the gate open automatically when you push a keychain remote similar to the one that locks and unlocks your car doors. This means you will not have to use the code box on the gate... Just push the button and up comes the gate. (Just so there is no misunderstanding like there was the Emergency red light project... I ordered this stuff on my own with my own $$ again. If it does not pan out, it’s on me not the Social Club.)

It may have some problems. We have to experiment a bit to iron them out. The signal from the keychain remote may not reach the antenna because the electrical equipment is in a metal box for instance. If that is solved then questions like how far in advance can the signal be transmitted to the gate? Will the signal register if it is sent from a vehicle with the windows rolled up? With any project there are hidden problems not thought of until the unit is field tested.

If everything goes well I will ask the Social Club to reimburse me for the parts.. under $50 (no labor) at this time. Then at some future date the Social club will be advised what the cost of a keychain remote is (wholesale price.. I make $0). The sale of the remotes to residents (retail) will be used as a fund raiser for the Social Club Treasury. The price will be less than $20 per unit and determined at a Social Club Meeting in the future. Return and repair policy will be decided by the Social Club at the same meeting.

No, you won’t need a keychain unit to get in the gate. You will always be able to code in the password numbers to get in just as you do now. The remote offering will not be mandatory nor will it be necessary. It is meant to be a new convenience only.

No comments: