Tuesday, November 22, 2005

First Hand Reports

First Hand Reports: "First Hand Reports
Living in Harmony
Whether we’re working on the farm or performing music, our homesteading family feels a close kinship.
By John Christopher Knight

The Knight family, front row from left: Joel, 12; John Christopher; Justin, 25; Madison, 18; Gabriel, 8; and Laura. On the horse, Malachi, 10; and Kate, 6. Not pictured: Chris, 30; Joshua, 27; and Prentice, 22.

In 1989, I was an agency representative for seven electrical manufacturers. My wife, Laura, our five children and I lived in Knoxville, Tenn., in a five-bedroom home, with two Volvos and a new van in the driveway. In our spare time, we rode horses for pleasure and frequented the nearby Smoky Mountains. I also coached my children’s soccer teams and played competitive soccer. One day I was going in for a goal and managed to crush my ankle, which meant that I couldn’t walk or work for four months."

No comments: