Wednesday, May 04, 2005


The Book Program to our Marine is done...

ron thomas

Today I got back a box of 20 books we sent in April by our library at LVH to our Marine in Iraq. The box went all the way there and came back thanks to the Dept. of Homeland Security and the US Postal Service. I had been sending them to the Marine or in his absence any Soldier, Airman,Sailor or Marine in Iraq. Homeland Security won't allow that anymore for a reason that no-one seems to know. Up until this package you could say give them to any of the warriors there now if the package was undeliverable. But now Homeland Security has decided pocket books cannot be given to just anybody they must be given to a specific person the danger is terribly accute the pocket books may cause death or destruction I guess.

When I was a young warrior folks could send mail and if it was addressed to anybody and it couldn't be delivered then somebody else in the outfit took it. I never heard of an exploding pocket book the entire time I served. Strange how things change.

Now you pay to send the stuff and fill out a customs declaration in quadruplicate which must be on the front of the package and must have a recipient ... no give it to someone else who wants it is allowed.

The Marine we were sending those pocket books to never sent anything back to LVH about receiving them. He told my son when he inquired that he did receive them but that's all I know.

Anyhow, that program has come to a close for now unless any of you have an idea or a new soldier we can adopt.


No comments: