Friday, March 04, 2005

Jack Scherer wanted this article posted...

Jack Scherer put this in my mailbox at the clubhouse and would like to point it out to you. I have seen it a couple of times before and somewhere in the archives it probably still exists... Nevertheless, it makes everyone think about telephone security. Here it is then....

I received a telephone call last evening from an individual identifying himself as an AT&T service technician who was conducting a test on telephone lines. He stated that to complete the test I should touch nine (9), zero (0), the pound sign (#), and then hang up. Luckily, I was suspicious and refused. Upon contacting the telephone company, I was informed that by pushing 90#, you give the requesting indiviual full access to your telephone line, which enables to place long distance calls billed to your home phone number. I was further informed that this scam has been originating from many local jails/prisons. I have also verified this information uf UCB Telecom, Pacific Bell, MCI, Bell Atlantic and GTE. Please beware. DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE> The GTE Security Department requestred that I share this information with everyone I know. Please pass this on to everyoner you know......

No comments: