Monday, December 15, 2008

Ron's Downfall

Saturday, I was at the Newport Main Fire Station... It was raining outside and after a training session for New CERT members was done. I gathered up my equipment and made for the back door where I had parked my vehicle.

It was very dark outside and as I stepped from the sidewalk to the parking lot pavement ... I didn't see the 2" drop from sidewalk to pavement. In slow motion I began a fall to the pavement. My equipment bag flew from my hands as I braced for the collision between me and the pavement. I was in between my van and a truck which I managed to miss... My left knee hit first I think and then my left elbow and forearm scrapped pavement and as gravity took it's final shot at me my head klonked the pavement.

It was dark and nobody was around... I yelled for help and although I could see people moving around in the building no one could hear me.....

Years ago our CERT team decided to wear whistles around our necks while we were on team business... There it was and after 4 years I needed it. I blew three short blast (the international distress signal).. and kept it up... People inside heard the shrill whistle and came out looking for the source.... I was saved!

When you are alone on a walk about in the park... Take your FRS radio and put that cheap plastic whistle around your neck... Someday, it may come in handy!

No comments: