Sunday, September 11, 2005

The Real Inventory - New York Times: "The Rural Life
The Real Inventory

EDITOR: A pretty good read rt

By VERLYN KLINKENBORG
Published: September 11, 2005

Earlier this summer, I e-mailed my brother a list of the animals we're raising on this farm. I called it an inventory, but it was really a way of acknowledging that perhaps my wife and I have gone too far. There are now five pigs in various stages of growth, and a large, comic parade of ducks and geese that settle onto the lawn like so many ships in a green sea. There are chicks in the basement and chickens in the mulch. And there are the longtime partners in this enterprise, the horses, dogs and cats. My brother - who has three pigs and four goats himself - wrote back and said, 'Wouldn't it be great to know the real inventory?'"

No comments: