Thursday, December 02, 2004

Firewall Safety

Firewall Safety

Off to the right I posted a new article, Understanding Your Firewall, a firewall is a piece of hardware or software that stops would-be idiots from hijacking your computer, special note for cable and satallite users,the DNS range is more widely know than for dialup accounts. I have Charter Cable so I expect a few more idiots to scan for open ports over a dialup account as cable companies use a specific DNS range (DNS=your computer's address and location). Windows XP has a built-in firewall so make sure it is turned on. Other operating systems need to have a firewall added in. If you don't think you need a firewall and that nobody is interested in you, think again, these jerks scan entire ranges of DNS's looking for an open door. I posted the article and am doing so here to let you know how important it is. To show my point I was going to add my BlackIce (Firewall software) log here but realized it is three pages long just for the last 24 hours. A total of 186 idiots out there just scanning the internet for somebody to have the door open. Just when you thought email was the only way to get hacked...those 186 idiots may have found your door open !

If you need help turning on your firewall or need one, give me a buzz.

No comments: