Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A real Fish story

This tidbit was emailed to me by the Fisherman's club... I think you will enjoy it as much as I did.

John,

Just wanted to pass on a little "fishing" story from today. Walt Chuck and I hit the water at about 0900. We dropped a couple of crab pots up by the green gas tank and then headed out with 2 more. We ran out NW of the north jetty tip and we were in about 50' of water. I was running the boat and Walt was running the crabbing gear. Just as he was getting ready to drop the last pot, something smacked into the side of the boat hard enough that it almost knocked him completely off of his feet and spun the bow of the boat around 180'. A Gray whale had come up and hit us on the port side, then rubbed the entire side of the boat and finished its roll at bow and blew!

Needless to say, we checked our pockets and teeth to make sure we had everything. After we realized what it was, we both acted like kids and just started yelling while pointing at the whale as it swam away from us and laughing our heads off. Talk about an adrenaline dump! I hope to not ever do that again!!!

I have scratches in the side of the boat in several places where the barnacles ran down the metal and vinyl. One of the scratches is deep enough in the aluminum that I will have to have it buffed out, as it could cut a line should one go across it.

No comments: