Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Why do you need an FRS Radio? Last night is a good case in point....



The time was around 7:00pm. Jacky and I had returned from watching the whales and spectacular waves at Rocky Point.

The FRS radio that we keep tuned to CH 5 came on with a weary and ailing voice asking if anyone on the CERT team was listening? Two of us responded right away. "This is Ron go ahead" pause, "This is Wayne I hear you".... Then... "This is Charley Currey. I need help! I'm dizzy and can't get up."

Wayne, "I am on the way Charley. I'll be right there." Ron, "I'm calling 911 right now and then I'll be there Wayne."Wayne, Roger. Charley, " ok."

Had Jacky call 911 and left out the door with my CERT Kit enroute to Charley's home.

Wayne, "Ron, I'm parked in front of Charley's with the emergency flashers on" Ron, "Good Idea I'll put mine on too." I am here now.

Marlene, Ruthanne and Liz, "What can we do? What's going on? Ron, "Charley is not feeling well. Wayne is with him and I'm here now also." "Could someone go to the front gate and point the ambulance this way?" Liz, "I'm on the way." "Some one go to Windmill and Evergreen and point them down here." Marlene, "Roger."

At the house.. inside. Wayne is with Charlie who is sitting up with his eyes closed.. Explains he is very dizzy has taken pills but he feels worse. I call 911 again and talk to the dispatcher who is updating the ambulance enroute. She confirms the address and begins a series of questions about the nature of the emergency the answers she relays to the ambulance crew....

Liz radios the ambulance is here... somewhere in there Jackie Memoli Radios the street as I fumble trying to remember it. Liz radios that she is leading the ambulance to Charley's... Great idea.

The ambulance arrives and I thank the dispatcher and hang up. Wayne has been talking to Charley and keeping him calm. Paramedics come in and set up shop. We tell them what we know and start moving furniture and turning on lights to make it easier for them to work. Marlene is on scene in the house assuring Charley we will look after Bentley his dog. Somehow good neighbors, Bob and Marilyn Breakfield volunteered to look after Bentley.

Marlene noticed that the dog food contained suspect gluten and got some untainted good food for doggy. We ferreted out Charley's Medicare card for him and Marlene put a list of the CERT team's phone numbers in his pocket and told him he could call any one of us if he needs a ride home from the hospital.

Later follow up from Marlene found that they are holding him overnight...

Here is an observation.... Charley had his FRS Radio and we had just shown him how to use it recently. He was so dizzy he could not get to the phone for help... Charley lives alone. Could this happen to you? As a block captain or Neighborhood Watch Coordinator we would like you to have your radio on as long as you can every day. It's not hard nor inconvenient and is wonderful service to the community.

A passing piece of notoriety goes here. As one of the paramedics was leaving he asked if I read the LVH Blog? He said he reads it every day... Small town life.. you got to love it. To our responding CERTS... and Neighborhood Watch Team, well done. To the Dispatcher and our professional Paramedics, thank you.

No comments: